The Dyer County Courthouse is an imposing three story brick structure located in the heart of historic downtown Dyersburg. It was built in 1911 and is also known as the Fireproof
Courthouse. The first phase of downtown renovation started with the lawn of the Courthouse. Excluding historic monuments, everything from the Courthouse to the street has been replaced. This streetscape project was funded by a Tennessee Department of Transportation Enhancement Grant applied for by Main Street Dyersburg. While this type of grant funding may not be used for buildings, the new sidewalk and landscape has been designed to accent the centerpiece Dyer County Courthouse. The dark colored pavers match the 100 year old brick of the Courthouse while diamond shaped white accents placed along the brick banded walkways denote the same pattern seen on the corners of the building.
The restored bell tower and dome of the Courthouse house the original and now fully functional mechanical clock and bell. Most residents joke that they don't ever remember the clock or the bell ever working. They work now and keep excellent time as well.
Historic Courthouse Square
101 W. Court Street
Dyersburg, TN 38024