Economic Development

Requirements for starting a business in Dyersburg and Dyer County, Tennessee


You must purchase a county business license if you:

  • Make over $3,000.00 per year
  • Conduct business in Dyer County.

The fee varies according to business type.

You must register with the County Clerk within 20 business days after beginning business, unless you are Tennessee Business Tax exempt.

You must also acquire a sales tax information form. This is available at the County Clerk's office.

County Business License
Dyer County Court Clerk,
Diane Moore
P.O. Box 1360
(731) 286-7814



You must purchase a city business license if you:

  • Do business inside the city limits
  • Make over $3,000.00 per year

The fee varies according to business type.

You must register with the City Clerk within 20 days after beginning business unless you are Tennessee Business Tax exempt.

If you do business in the city, you are required to have both a city and county business license.

City Business License

In Dyersburg:

City Hall
(731) 288-7604

In Newbern:
City Hall
(731) 627-3221

In Trimble:
Joyce Scobey
City Hall
(731) 297-3955

Property Assessor
Sheila Holmes
Dyer County Courthouse
P.O. Box 1360
(731) 286-7804

Dyer County Trustee
Nancy Broadstone
Dyer County Courthouse
(731) 286-7802



  • Every business must pay personal property tax
  • You must pay personal property tax in the city in which you are doing business.
  • A tax form will be mailed to you in January .
  • The deadline for filing is March Ist.

This form:

  • Must be completed by everyone
  • The State Board will decide if you are exempt
  • Is subject to audit



  • You need to obtain a business identification in order to operate.
  • If you have employees, you must fill out Form SS-4 to obtain an EIN
  • Form SS-4 can be acquired from the IRS or from most commercial banks
  • Upon completion, forward form SS-4 to the IRS
  • If you have no employees, use your social security number



The type of business operation determines what taxes you must pay:

  • Income tax
  • Self employment tax
  • Employment taxes
  • Excise taxes

Contact your accountant for more information.



Within 15 days you must:

  • Contact the County Clerk’s office
  • Contact the City Clerk’s office
  • Sign a closing form
  • Pay a closing fee (if applicable)
  • Pay personal property taxes



TN Small Business Development Center
Dyersburg State Community College
Director -Van Wylie
1510 Lake Rd
Dyersburg, TN 38024
(731) 286-3201